It’s often said that change is the only constant in life. Yet, humans are evolutionarily predisposed to resist change because of the risk associated with it. Despite this resistance to change, it is more important than ever. Napoleon once said, “One must change one’s tactics every 10 years if one wishes to maintain one’s superiority.” In today’s society the pace of change is immensely faster, and it will only continue to accelerate.
Organizations and people that don’t embrace change are bound to lose ground and stagnate. When you are anxiously anticipating a change–or in the midst of a challenging one—be encouraged with one of these quotes to help you plow through it:
• Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future. -John F. Kennedy
• If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. -Maya Angelou
• I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. -Mother Teresa
• Change your thoughts and you change your world. -Norman Vincent Peale
• He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery. -Harold Wilson
How are you handling change?